[pmwiki-users] Why doesn't this installation sequence work?

christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 13:56:34 CST 2006

On Tue, 21 Mar 2006, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2006-03-21  07:25 PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com is
> rumored to have said:
> >If this structure isn't feasible, why not? Would this be a good way to do
> >it?
>
> I swore to myself I would not get sucked back into this thread, but ...
>
> The structure you drew looks way too complicated. Every wiki admin
> needs FTP access to 2 directories.

The reason for the structure is that I'd like to have as little as
possible in directories that are accessible through the web. Basically I
don't trust .htaccess (or me being able to configure it properly...).

Putting stuff outside the web tree then makes sense to me.

> I  have a very easy way to create a farm with every wiki in the farm
> able to have its own totally private skins etc.
>
> 1) Do a standard, full install to directory1
> 2) Add the farmconfig file to directory1
> 3) In the .htaccess file for directory1, deny access to pmwiki.php
>
> You now have a "home wiki" that can never have page content or be a
> wiki, but it does hold all of the farm-wide shared components and config files.
>
> 4) In directory2, install the index.php wrapper script that invokes
> pmwiki.php in directory 1
>
> Repeat step 4 for each additional wiki.

> If you stop after the first iteration of step 4, you have the famous
> ridderstrom-1-wiki-farm.   ;-)

I don't think so... :-)

Won't the .htaccess deny access to the farm's public directory?  Hmm... or
is there some way to get the .htaccess to only deny access to pmwiki.php?
(I don't know how).

regards
/Christian