[pmwiki-users] wildcard user name in authuser

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Tue Mar 21 08:09:25 CST 2006

At 2006-03-21  08:59 AM -0500, The Editor is rumored to have said:
>I take it you are manually creating their user accounts, and setting
>their passwords (using something like HtpasswdForm).  And then
>notifying them ahead of time what their account name and password are.

Close, but no cigar. (Back to the barn with you ;-)

I do not want to have any accounts at all.

I want to have the whole wiki protected by a read password which will
be issued to people as required.

I want them to have to log in with a username (which is not checked)
and the password, and I want to capture the username as their Author name.

This may sound insecure or foolish, but from the user point of view,
they will see a "standard" un/pw login form, fill it in and be able
to read and edit without having to enter anything else.

I want to avoid asking for a read password and then later (when they
are editing) asking for an Author Name.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/