[pmwiki-users] Note on tooltip options

Roman romat2 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 09:53:16 CST 2006

> Other than the fact that it might break existing markup, I would say
> get rid of the [[ Link Text -> http://www.example.com ]] markup
> altogether. It never made sense to me, the GUI link buttons in the
> edit window don't generate it, and we have a perfectly good markup
> that does the same job using one fewer character. (I never use it as a result.)

I don't agree with your suggestion. Although you have to type one
extra character it makes perfectly sense for me. Imagine this simple
text: "Find out [[more ->
www.example.com/path/to/particlular/page.html]]." In my opinion it is
better readable then "Find out [[
www.example.com/path/to/particlular/page.html | more]]". In first
case, your mind can concentrate on semantics - if you don't care about
the link during reading, you can just skip the part after ->. In
second case you have to read the link because you don't know if there
will be any link text.

I use the [[link text->link]] syntax primarily and I also redefined
the GUI button for my users. The other syntax I use only with title
text [[link | +]] because it does not have corresponding syntax with
->.

Roman