[pmwiki-users] wiki farm terminology

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Mar 18 17:49:38 CST 2006

On 3/18/06, Joachim Durchholz <jo at durchholz.org> wrote:
> Hans schrieb:
> > I like to question the term
> > "wiki engine" used in the documentation.
> >
> > Do we need to use it, as I don't think it helps?
> > Instead of "how to install the PmWiki engine" I would rather say
> > "how to install PmWiki", and instead of
> > "Installing the pmwiki engine outside the web document tree"
> > rather "Installing PmWiki outside the web document tree".
>
> I think the term "PmWiki" usually covers the standard installation, i.e.
> the code plus one wiki.
> The "engine" terminology just distinguishes the code part.

That's precisely why I asked the question about the phrase a couple of
days ago.  When you unzip the tarball you get two things, the wiki
engine and a pre-installed wiki (minus a configuration file and
wiki.d/).

"Installing PmWiki" and "installing the PmWiki engine" for a farm are
different., the distinguishing difference being that if you're only
installing the engine you will need to make sure the pre-installed
wiki is disabled and the pub/ directory is accessible and specified in
farmconfig.php.

So I like the phrase "PmWiki engine" because it describes an
installation of the PmWiki software minus any wiki.  Calling it the
"PmWiki installation" is ambiguous.  To me, a PmWiki installation has
at least one wiki.

That said, if the consensus is that we should avoid the phrase I'll do
that, especially if someone will please specify what exactly we will
call the non-wiki part of a PmWiki installation.

Hagan