[pmwiki-users] How to stop the creation of a paragraph

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 17 07:56:22 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 05:35:36AM +0100, Patrick Ogay wrote:

> >On a somewhat related note, I'm also still looking for a markup
> >that indicates a new paragraph (without needing a blank line).
> >So far the leading candidate is still "P:"...
>
> I'm far from a CSS-guru, but I'm wondring whether it wouldn't be more
> flexible to use a <div> tag instead of a <p>.
> As far as I know, you can easy control the <div> to avoid a line-break.
> Another problem might be "valid" html, because <p> may not have
> other block elements.

Early in 2004 there was a discussion about the merits of <div>
versus <p>, and I think the consensus at the time was that we
should at least make an effort towards using whatever semantics
are defined in HTML, thus <p> instead of <div>.

Besides, anything that can be done with <div> to control a
line break can also be done with <p>.  (And PmWiki is already
smart enough to know not to put other block elements in <p>...</p>.)