[pmwiki-users] Wiki farm confusion

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 15 21:12:01 CST 2006

On 3/15/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 07:34:57PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> DaveG's answer that "[t]here is no difference -- it's simply a wiki
> that happens to be inside the PmWiki installation directory" isn't
> too far off the mark.
>
> > Standalone wiki - A wiki installation with no farmconfig.php.
> > Wiki farm - An installation with a farmconfig.php that defines $FarmPubDirUrl.
> > Home installation - The base installation in a farm setup (a.k.a. a barn)
> > Home wiki - A wiki in a farm where $FarmPubDirUrl and $PubDirUrl are the same
> > Field wiki - A wiki in a farm where $FarmPubDirUrl and $PubDirUrl are different
> >
> > Lets give these a workout, shall we?
>
> As technical definitions they're fine, but as an introduction to
> wikifarms they might be a bit confusing.  Or maybe not.  (I'm the
> wrong audience for evaluating that. :-)

They're technical definitions, not intended to be introductory ones.
I was just trying to provide unmistakable distinguishing
characteristics more than anything.

Likewise the big jargon-soaked paragraphs weren't meant to be
comprehensive.  They were just to meant to be used for seeing if the
above terminology would be  unambiguous when used in context.  (The
"give these a workout" line was meant to convey that.)

Hagan