[pmwiki-users] RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

H. Fox haganfox at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Mar 15 13:19:41 CST 2006

On 3/15/06, DaveG <pmwiki at solidgone.com> wrote:
>   - I like the idea of splitting the doc into farm and field
> administrator sections. I would suggest making the header style stand
> out more to visually break the page up a little.

I don't think the two administrators are different.  It's more likely
that there is one administrator making changes in two different ways,
globally and locally -- or farm-wide vs. in a field wiki.

> ------ "Setting up a WikiFarm (farm administrator)"
>   - When converting an existing installation to a field based
> installation, does the existing directory structure remain? Is it
> necessary (or desirable) to move the existing wiki.d, skins, uploads, etc?
>
>   - "Usually, this will mean setting $FarmPubDirUrl to reasonable
> settings for the new field." Too vague. What are reasonable settings?
> What other directory variables need to be set? Seems odd that it's only
> this one, and not Uploads, Script, Img, etc. At this point I start
> getting cold feet, and wonder at the affect on my existing install. This
> brings to light a point: it's good practice to be doing this level of
> change on a local PmWiki install before hitting the live site... but how
> many admins (particularly of smaller sites) actually follow this
> practice, and thus may hit some unclarity in the instructions, and
> simply stop with the thought "Yoikes"?
>
>   - The field admin steps are pretty good. Clear, and presise. Step 3
> however changes permissions to 777, and at no point do we change them
> back. Is this desirable?

No, it certainly isn't!

The easiest way is to handle this is to recommend visiting the wiki
and checking for error messages.  The script will produce some
recommendations to be followed.  (Some platforms don't need to do
anything with permissions at all.)

That or send them over to PmWiki.Installation and say "follow step three".

>   - Step 4 (field admin) is the kicker. All directory structure creation
> is automatic! This should be stated up front, on the very first paragraph!
>
>   - ?One significant omission is that if CleanURLs are in use, changes
> will need to be made when

With respect to Clean URLs, field wiki's are just like stand-alone wikis.

http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/CleanUrls#farms

Hagan