[pmwiki-users] RFC: PITS 00701 -- WikiFarm confusion

DaveG pmwiki at solidgone.com
Wed Mar 15 11:40:06 CST 2006

to believe. 4 (maybe 5) basic steps was all that were needed -- KISS! I
propose defining the *goal* of a farm, define a farm and a field, and
then describing the 5 or so steps. Other info can follow in sections after.

  - There is a conceptual sticky in that adding a new field to an
existing install means we now have two fields, one of which is in the
pmwiki directory structure, and which uses a config.php in what is now
the Farm local/ directory. I had actually thought that the farm
local/config.php would provide settings across the fields -- this
appears not to be the case?

  - Given that this is not the case, I now need to create a new
config.php in my field directory. Minor point, but it's the last step.

  - What I suspect I ened to do is include $FarmD for all my cookbooks
included in pmwiki/local/config.php. How do I also get markups inherited
to the fields? Ah... Now I see "A farm administrator can use the
local/farmconfig.php file for customizations to be applied to all fields
within the farm." -- make this clearer up front, as one of the steps.
"Configurations that you want to be global across sites, should be made
in farmconfig.php. You may want to move some settings from your existing
config.php into farmconfig.php"

------ Thoughts during conversion:

  - I'm converting an existing install to a Farm based install. What
I'll end up with is a base install, and two fields. The fields consist
of what directories? Just a wiki.d, or also Uploads, Pub, etc? Because
what will happen is I'll have a field in a new location probably away
from the pmwiki directory. My initial site will now become a field but
will remain inside the base pmwiki directory. Conceptually this is
confusing. But at the very least the install instructions should make
this explicit. "Your initial pmwiki site will become a field, which
resides in the base PmWiki directory", or something similar.

  - Step 1: I create farmconfig.php in the main pmwiki/local directory.
At this point I'm a little confused. "$FarmPubDirUrl is used to provide
fields with the URL location of the farm's pub/ directory." Suggests the
skins for all fields are in this directory. For shared skins this makes
sense. Where the user wants totally separate sites, it might not. Make
this explicit in the instructions.

  -- Step 1b: Upload the farmconfig.php and check the existing site...
it still works :) Nothing like working on a live site :)

  -- "This file would contain any local customizations that are to be
performed for every field in the farm". A little confusing. "Local
customizations" that are global across sites...?

  - Step 2: I created a new directory in public_html for my new
wiki-field, and created a pmwiki directory.

  - Step 3: Uploaded index.php, with an include pointing to
"../pmwiki/pmwiki.php"

  - Step 4: Pointed a browser to index.php... "Warning:
main(../pmwiki/pmwiki.php): failed to open stream: No such file or
directory in /home/nepherim/public_html/quiddity/pmwiki/index.php on
line 1".

    Doesn't seem to like the relative path, so change index.php to use
an absolute path "/home/nepherim/public_html/pmwiki/pmwiki.php". Browser
now responds with a wiki page, and the wiki.d directory is created.

  - Step 5: I presume I need to change the attribs back... but to what?

  ~ ~ Dave