[pmwiki-users] Some feedback/remarks/comments about pmwiki ...
apollo13 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 15 07:50:22 CST 2006
Hi pm & all,
fist of all, and this is the most important,
for me pmwiki is a superior, great and valuable tool
- thank you, pm, for your superior work/efforts (... and to all contributors) !!!
What i like:
- i like that it's free/gpl'ed !
- i like the openness (code, data, features) !
(though i wondered, why the datafiles are not XML-based)
- i like that it's "simple", i.e. overviewable, compact, no separate SQL Database
- i like the clear and compact coding style !
- i like the immediate support efforts (pm mailing list) of the developer(s) !!!
- i like that there is a real living community!
What - in my concerns - could be improved:
- There is NO Group nesting,
at least i practically would need a nesting-depth of additionally 3 Subgroups
(imagine your filesystem on your pc would be restricted to creating just root-level directories
this would lead to limit the REAL structure of your contents
and to a error-prone handling of your "flattened" datafiles ...)
- Missing information-separation between the different audiences, i.e.
(readers; writers/authors; administrators; developers/contributors
- novice/beginners; advanced; at expert level)
- Depending on this, each newcomer has the same concerns
- Where do i find the needed information?
(there are too much info-sources ...
Documentation index, Cookbook/Recipes (with mostly several alternatives there),
FAQ, Questions, mailing list, mailing list archives ...)
- This leads to unnessesary, avoidable traffic on the pm-mailing-list !!
- What and how much should i read on each level (maybe a missing filtering-feature? ) ??
- i miss a "How-to-contribute-list/TO-DO-list",
i.e. how can someone support the project depending from the abilities of each willing contributor?
i.e. what tasks would need to be done next?
At last, some various, more PRACTICAL CONCERNS:
- Internationalisation (i restrict here to german):
How to synchronize between the standard (english) Documentation
and the german docu. ?
If changes are made to the standard, how to "trigger" the need for a change to the german docu.
so that in turn it is always 'up-to-date' ?
- Effect of: Disabling/recommenting $EnableUpload = 1;
This "disables" not only the ability to uploading in general,
but "disables" rendering of all so far uploaded images
(showing the textual markup-code instead)
- is it the desired semantics of this directive?
I managed to establish a first installation so far.
My next concerns/topics were
- HOWTO: extend each page with a Wikipedia-like "discussion"-/feature/tab/page (i use the monobook-skin)?
- HOWTO: handy organize/access Photo-Album(-Upload)s?
intended structure, e.g.: <user>.Photos.<year>.<albumname, e.g.="Halloween">/DSC_xxxx.JPG
with multiple-selection upload-feature
(well, i see there are cookbook-recipes, but which should i take/extend?
Simply: what's recommended?)
- HOWTO: easily convert HTML-content from an existing site into pm-markuped content?
(it's a non-profit project, 150 HTML-pages, 700 images + 700 thumbs(or cache-creating))
- HOWTO: exploit the knowledge, that's included in the pm-mailing-list archives?
(well, i could write a script, that compiles each archive contents
into a better readable "treelike"-style ... or even into pmwiki-datafile-pages ...)
Sorry for this lengthy post!
With best regards,
More information about the pmwiki-users