[pmwiki-users] CleanUrls, again (was: Putting ".html" extensions...)

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun Mar 5 13:08:13 CST 2006

Neil Herber schrieb:
> If my wikis are any example, then URL space is NOT case-sensitive. I am
> running Apache 2 on Windows 2000 Server and all of these URLs return the
> same page:
>
> http://neil.eton.ca/wiki/index.php/Main/HomePage
> http://neil.eton.ca/WIKI/index.php/Main/HomePage
> http://neil.eton.ca/wiki/INDEX.php/Main/HomePage
> http://neil.eton.ca/wiki/index.php/main/homepage
>
> Or do I misunderstand what you mean here?

 From the perspective of URL space, index.php and INDEX.php are
different pages that happen to have the same content :-)

In the above case, Apache maps these URLs to files in the file system,
which isn't case-sensitive. However, you should be able to get case
sensitivity into your URLs if you really want - e.g. you could use an
Alias directive to map http://neil.eton.ca/FOO and
http://neil.eton.ca/foo to different places in the file system.

Also, what PmWiki does with the pathinfo is case sensitive. Apache
should preserve letter case when passing path info to the script, which
would then be free to make letter case a distinguishing mark. (PmWiki
doesn't on a Windows machine, because it maps path info to file names,
which again are case insensitive - but it *could* distinguish them.
Imagine a MySqlPageStore module in PmWiki that uses SQL keys as group
and page names, and you'd have a PmWiki with case-sensitive page names.)

Hope this clarifies more than it confuses :-)

Regards,
Jo