[pmwiki-users] More on AuthUser

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Mar 3 11:15:04 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 05:56:11PM +0100, Dominique Faure wrote:
> > i.e. moving the prefix to the password option. But I know, it's maybe
> > not what everyone wants anyway...
> >

> Why not use the salt marker '$' as a password prefix to make
> distinction between user, @group and $password despite that this could
> provide headaches with PHP string handling?

Not all PHP installations and configurations use '$' as the salt
marker.  (I suppose PmWiki could add it in those cases where PHP doesn't
provide, and remove it on the other side.)

Plus, it's totally not intuitive to people using ?action=attr to have
to add '$' or 'pass:' in front of a string to tell PmWiki "this is
a password".