[pmwiki-users] TextFormattingRules and BasicEditing

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Thu Mar 2 23:38:45 CST 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 11:24:30AM +1300, John Rankin wrote:
> This is a "thinking aloud" list:
>
> EditGettingStarted -- a *short* page for people new to wiki
> editing that shows how with a few simple markups you can do
> some pretty neat stuff; designed to recognise the "wysiwyg
> is easy and markup is too hard" perception
>
>   This may be a hard page to write, as it's much easier to
>   write a long page than a short one.

The hardest part is deciding what to include or exclude.
BasicEditing was intended to be short, but it doesn't work
out that way.

> EditingWithMarkup -- a long page that lists all markups with
> examples for each, including a (:toc:), to act as a markup
> rule reference

Wow, that would be a very long page indeed.  Even the
MarkupMasterIndex is already fairly long, and all it does
is list the available markups.  :-)

> MarkupQuickReference -- show/hideable on the edit screen
> StyleQuickReference -- show/hideable on the edit screen
> TableQuickReference -- show/hideable on the edit screen

I like this idea very much.  I like it so much that I'm likely
to add the show/hide capability into the core.  (I was leaning
in that direction already -- it just seems too useful to ignore.)

> I don't particularly like the names SimpleTables and
> AdvancedTables. I'd be inclined to change SimpleTables
> to Tables.

This is a very good idea.  I'm also not all that fond of
"AdvancedTables".  Perhaps we just need Tables and MoreTables
(or DirectiveTables or MacroTables or ...).

> Just my 5 cents.

Your 5 cents appears to be worth more than its face value.  :-)