[pmwiki-users] Robustness of PmWiki

Joachim Durchholz jo at durchholz.org
Sun Jun 25 12:14:04 CDT 2006

Martin Bayer schrieb:
> Joachim -
>
> Am Sonntag, 25. Juni 2006 13:30 schrieb Joachim Durchholz:
>> The wiki should set "nofollow" based on the URL it's linking to.
>> Indiscriminately adding "nofollow" will do more harm than good.
>
> My words.
>
> The problem is, you can set only one "nofollow" META tag on each page, but
> on all pages you have links to both, other pages and actions.

Um... wasn't there an equivalent option on links?
And a "noindex" option on meta, so that a page wouldn't be indexed?

(Just recounting *very* dim memories...)

> [mod_rewrite]
>> (I still don't *like* that solution. It's far too much manual
>> intervention for my taste. But it may well be the most effective one.)
>
> The best solution would be, IMHO, not to use GET for actions, in particular
> not for actions that change the database (edit, revert, and so on). See
> also RfC 2616, Section 9.1.1 (Safe Methods) on this:
>
> | In particular, the convention has been established that the GET and
> | HEAD methods SHOULD NOT have the significance of taking an action
> | other than retrieval.

It's just a convention.
And routinely ignored in many pages, including many non-wiki ones.
Today, the difference is "with GET, you see what you're submitting
inside the URL, with POST, you don't". Which makes far more sense in
practice, I'd say.

Regards,
Jo