[pmwiki-users] Srolling boxes

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Fri Jun 9 00:13:05 CDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 04:29:52PM +1200, John Rankin wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 June 2006 3:38 PM, Kathryn Andersen <kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org> wrote:
> >On Wed, Jun 07, 2006 at 10:31:10PM -0500, Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, from my tests using width as a percentage doesn't
> >> seem to help here -- IE expects an absolute size for the box
> >> or else it just ignores it entirely.
> >
> >Ah, yes, I had a nagging feeling there was a problem with percentages
> >for overflow...
>
> So we are back to width in pixels as the 'least worst' option?

No, ems are still probably better; that way one could set it to
something readable between 60-80 ems (which is supposed to be easier to
read, long line lengths being harder to follow with the eyes).

But it is tricky; I recently was reading the documentation for some
program on the web, and all the code/examples were in scrolling windows,
and that made it irritatingly unreadable, because I had to scroll back
and forth to find out what the heck it said.  With that experience, I'm
wary of making the size too small.  Of course, the whole point is to
stop people having to scroll back and forth to read the content... but
there doesn't seem to be an ideal solution.

> (Actually, I just wanted an excuse to use Dominique Faure's
> cool NZ ascii map)

It is, indeed, cool. 8-)

Kathryn Andersen