[pmwiki-users] New definition list functionality

Pico pmwiki at ben-amotz.com
Thu Jun 1 14:11:23 CDT 2006

Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud <at> pobox.com> writes:

> On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 06:37:45PM +0000, Pico wrote:
> > I noticed the definition list on the notify page: *VERY cool*
> >
> > How does it work?
>
> Actually, this isn't at all new -- it's been in PmWiki for many years.
> It only works for $Variables.  Any markup of the form $VariableName
> does a search of the pages in the PmWiki.Variables and returns
> a link to that page.  Any definition that is of the form :$VariableName:
> automatically generates an anchor for that definition.
>
> (The code that performs this magic is in scripts/vardoc.php.)
>
> > I am really excited about this.
>
> I wouldn't be.

Well, I am anyway.  This is exactly what I had in mind earlier.

>1/2   I don't have any plans at present to extend
> this particular feature beyond the existing $Variable documentation,
> unless we're able to seriously resolve a lot of issues.
>
> Pm

How about an incremental step to extend it to directives in the form
:(:directive:): ?

Pico

P.S.  Gname is starting to get on my nerves: now it won't let me post this reply
because its says that: "There's much more quoted text in your article than new.
Prune quoted stuff."  Well, I looked at the quoted text and I want to keep it,
so I am forced to start adding verbiage here in order to get my reply posted.
This is really going to far.