[pmwiki-users] wysiwyg editor for wiki

Henrik Bechmann henrik at bechmannsoftware.com
Mon Jul 17 19:57:44 CDT 2006

Thanks Patrick,

If I may offer the following:

In the broad sweep of web 2.0 evolution, I think that Wysiwig is
inevitable, therefore for PmWiki, eventually it will be essential
(version 3?).

------------------------

In terms of approaches to the problem, I see from your references that
you have mentioned two:
    a) based on the editor generating wiki code, background translation
of wiki code fragments into HTML (through background xmlhttprequest aka
AJAX processing
    b) based on the editor generating HTML code, translating the HTML
into wikicode on save edits.

Obviously both have issues. In terms of the former, identifying minimal
scope for translation (I personally think the performance issue is
manageable); in terms of the latter, identifying ways of uniquely
matching not only the semantic HTML elements to the wiki elements, but
also the constituent parts (including for customizations). Also it seems
to me that reverse generation would require recursion.

In terms of the HTML-to-wiki approach, it seems to me that in principle
adding a couple of columns to the Markup structure for deterministic
"reverse" markup holds some promise.

IAC, of this I am quite sure: you Patrick are an unparalleled master of
regex conversions. If anyone could solve this problem, you could.
Perhaps partnering with Google?

Just food for thought...

- Henrik

Henrik Bechmann