[pmwiki-users] wysiwyg editor for wiki

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Jul 17 16:36:00 CDT 2006

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 02:04:58PM -0400, Henrik Bechmann wrote:
> There's an intriguing article on Wikipedia about the possibility of
> using FCKEditor or TinyMCE as WYSIWYG editors for WikiMedia (and
> presumably with modification for PmWiki):
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG_editor
>
> Does anyone have the background with these editors, and with PmWiki, to
> evaluate the merit of this project for PmWiki?

I'd have to wait and see how far they're able to get with it
for MediaWiki.

However, I think that a very strong indicator of the difficulty
of the problem is that it hasn't been done yet, despite a large
demand.  And keep in mind that since WikiMedia doesn't have nearly
the range of markup customization that PmWiki does, doing a good
WYSIWYG for PmWiki would be a lot harder (or require severe
restrictions on the range of customizations available).

This topic came up about four months ago; here's the message I
posted then (and its related thread).

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.wiki.pmwiki.user/25565/focus=25641

Hope this helps,