[pmwiki-users] Fwd: Menu-option questions..

Marc Cooper gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue Jul 11 15:16:21 CDT 2006

Ben said...
> Oh how I dislike the gmail interface. It never sends to the
> mailinglist addresses,
> it has no "Edit or Send message as new" option either, and the stupid linebreaks
> are annoying too. (Why don't they give an option to use plain-text for
> all messages?
> And what's with the strange cursor at gmail? I don't like that branch
> added to it.)
> So I need to forward it:

Nice rant :-)

... and the fact that it's free *really* pisses me off ;-)

Personally, IMAP on a hosted domain works for me. I only use gmail for
gspaces.

Yes. That seemed to be a requirement. Of course, you can add extra bits
on different pages, if you like, as well as site-wise stuff.

> I first need to find out how and where to create different Groups,
> but I think I will manage to find that out. Any quick hints on that?

Add to a page:

  [[Fred.My Page]]

and click the link, then save the resulting edit page. You can create
the page via a preview, if you like.

It's also useful to add the "newpageboxplus" recipe to do this sort of
thing. Add it to the sidebar and only make it available to yourself
and/or editors.

> > In addition, you also have the option of hard-coding the group sidebar
> > links in group.sidebar (i.e. [[Group.PageOne]]), or using pagelist via
> > something like
> >
> >   %sidehead% [[Marc]]
> >   (:pagelist link=Category.MarcHeadings fmt=#title order=title:)
> >
> > then adding the category link to appropriate pages - you can hide the
> > link in the page.
>
> Eeh.. could you explain this last thing some more?
> You mean all the different grouplinks are there, bit somewhat hidden.

Not quite. If you, add the following markup to a page:

  [[!MarcHeadings]]

then that page, and any others containing that markup, will be listed by
the pagelist command above. However, the [[!...]] markup produces text
on the page, so you might want to hide it from display - especially
since you will not want to create the page (i.e. Category.MarcHeadings
that it will link to.

> > Of course, you don't have to use sidebar at all, but could use floating
> > divs. So many ways :-)
>
> That's not really necessary, I want the site to be as lightweight as possible.

I was being flippant. And yup, adhering, as far as possible, to the
PmWiki Way is definitely the best way forward.

> Thanks for the hints, I'm glad it can be done.
> It will really be helpful if it becomes a wiki, because that way I
> don't need to do
> the ever-annoying double tasks of translating word-docs into html and
> crap like that.

Yup, but you have to translate it into markup, which would be a chore
with huge docs. For dokuwiki, I have a macro to translate OpenOffice
docs to its markup, I've not seen such a thing for PmWiki yet.

Good luck.

--
Best,
Marc