[pmwiki-users] Multiple Sources, Authentication Groups, and AuthUser

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 20 11:15:02 CST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 10:38:41AM -0600, Jon Haupt wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I've got an internal library wiki that is currently set up using the
> library's LDAP to provide authentication.  The default read
> authentication is id:*, because anybody who's in the staff library
> LDAP setup should be able to use it.
>
> That said, we've got a few outside individuals who we want to have
> access to a few pages here and there, for projects they are working on
> with the library.  However, it'd be better if they didn't then have
> access to everything on the wiki.
>
> The "best" way of doing this it seems would be something like
> id:(someone_from_the_ldap), id:whoeverelse

You could also add passwords to the individual pages that you want
the outside individuals to have access to.  Thus:

    id:* xyzpassword

means to allow any LDAP authenticated individual, as well as anyone
who knows the password "xyzpassword".  Then you just give the
"xyzpassword" to those (few) individuals who need access.

In general I find that for small groups, it's much easier to work
with shared passwords than user-based authentication.  But that's
just me.  :-)

> There isn't really a way to specify which source someone is being
> authenticated from, though, right?  So then, I was thinking, what
> about creating an authentication group, which anybody from a source is
> going to automatically be a part of... then I could do @librarystaff,
> id:whoeverelse.  Right?
>
> Is that possible?

Hmmm, I'd have to think about how this would be implemented.
Doesn't seem like it would be too difficult, however.