[pmwiki-users] Characters in file names (! = + #)

Simon s-i-m-o-n at paradise.net.nz
Sat Feb 11 17:47:58 CST 2006

Thanks, I would appreciate that,
I note that currently "-" and "_" are non alphabetics that are allowed,
as well of course as "."

Simon
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2396.txt

PS I note that some of the characters I have asked for above (valid for
windows file names) are reserved, viz

2.2. Reserved Characters
Many URI include components consisting of or delimited by, certain
special characters. These characters are called "reserved", since their
usage within the URI component is limited to their reserved purpose. If
the data for a URI component would conflict with the reserved purpose,
then the conflicting data must be escaped before forming the URI.
reserved = ";" | "/" | "?" | ":" | "@" | "&" | "=" | "+" | "$" | ","
The "reserved" syntax class above refers to those characters that are
allowed within a URI, but which may not be allowed within a particular
component of the generic URI syntax; they are used as delimiters of the
components described in Section 3.
Characters in the "reserved" set are not reserved in all contexts. The
set of characters actually reserved within any given URI component is
defined by that component. In general, a character is reserved if the
semantics of the URI changes if the character is replaced with its
escaped US-ASCII encoding.

2.3. Unreserved Characters
Data characters that are allowed in a URI but do not have a reserved
purpose are called unreserved. These include upper and lower case
letters, decimal digits, and a limited set of punctuation marks and
symbols.
unreserved = alphanum | mark mark = "-" | "_" | "." | "!" | "~" | "*" |
Unreserved characters can be escaped without changing the semantics of
the URI, but this should not be done unless the URI is being used in a
context that does not allow the unescaped character to appear.

2.4. Escape Sequences
Data must be escaped if it does not have a representation using an
unreserved character; this includes data that does not correspond to a
printable character of the US-ASCII coded character set, or that
corresponds to any US-ASCII character that is disallowed, as explained
below.