[pmwiki-users] formatting, indent

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Feb 6 08:14:06 CST 2006

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 03:45:34PM -0700, H. Fox wrote:
> On 2/5/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 12:47:56AM +0100, Stephan Schildberg wrote:
> > > How about ->-> ?
> >
> > Hey, that's not bad.  How about ->> instead?
>
> I like ->>
>
> > Do we need multi-level indents?
>
> Not sure.  I wouldn't think so.
>
> See also
>
>     http://pmichaud.com/pipermail/pmwiki-users/2005-July/015430.html

Thinking about it some more, I'm a little worried about the conflict between

    ->     # indent entire paragraph
    ->>    # indent just the first line of the paragraph

Part of me feels that if "->" indents an entire paragraph, then
"->>" ought to indent the entire paragraph *and* indent the first
line further.

It would be nice if we could do

    >>     indent first line of paragraph (also starts a new
           paragraph, with no vertical whitespace)

    ->     indent entire paragraph

    ->>    indent entire paragraph, and first line within paragraph

Unfortunately, using '>>' to mean indent the first line might have
interference issues with the '>>div<<' markup.

Which all comes around to something I've been able to answer
for quite some time -- we really do need a markup that can be
used to mean "start a new paragraph".