[pmwiki-users] How to indent first line of a paragraph only?

H. Fox haganfox at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 15:36:56 CDT 2005

On 7/25/05, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 05:47:26PM +0200, Robert Riebisch wrote:
> > I need -< reversed. ;-) First line indented but following lines not.
> > Just like in books. Is that possible? (How needs the hanging indent
> > currently made with -< ?)
>
> There are lots of ways to do this;
[snip]

A pedantic point about writhing style (a subject on which I'm not an
expert): Either paragraphs should be separated by a blank line *or*
the first line is indented.  Not both.  (I learned this the hard way.)

   it's customary (at least in America) to indicate new paragraphs
   in most prose by indenting the first line (three to five spaces),
   with no skipped lines between paragraphs. Business memos and press
   releases tend to skip a line and not indent. (As you can see from
   this guide, most Web browsers use the skip-a-line-and-don't-indent
   style.) In papers for English classes, don't-skip-but-indent is
   preferable.

>From http://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/Writing/p.html

So if you want PmWiki to produce output that's "just like in books"
you'll need to get rid of the space between paragraphs.

Hagan