[pmwiki-users] Precreating/Generating PMWiki pages

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 09:25:20 CST 2006

> From: "Patrick R. Michaud" <pmichaud at pobox.com>
> Subject: Re: [pmwiki-users] Precreating/Generating PMWiki pages
> To: Marian Aldenh?vel <marian.aldenhoevel at gmx.net>
> Cc: pmwiki-users at pmichaud.com
>
> On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 08:17:04AM +0100, Marian Aldenh?vel wrote:
> > Is it possible at all to create pages in a PMWiki by not using
> > PMWiki itself? If so, is there documentation of the format? Which
> > headers are required, which can I ignore?
>
> Two answers--
>
> 1.  I've been thinking that it might be useful if PmWiki's
> PageStore function could read plain text files on disk
> as though they were wiki markup.  Then no special formatting
> would be needed for applications such as this -- one could just
> drop a text file into the appropriately named place.  As soon as the
> page is edited by PmWiki, however, it's then stored in the standard
> PmWiki format.
>
> Perhaps this capability would need to be disabled by default for security
> reasons.
>
> Any comments?
>
> 2.  The format for PmWiki's files is very simple.  Essentially
> you only need the following:
>
>     urlencoded=1
>     time=1111111111
>     text=<page_markup_text>
>
> where <page_markup_text> is the text of the page with percent signs
> replaced by "%25" and newlines replaced by "%0a" sequences.
> See http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PmWiki/PageFileFormat for more details.

Regarding number 1:

When I first saw that, I thought it was a pretty good idea. But,
honestly, it is not that hard to code a recipe that does just
that--scan a directory, convert any text file to a PmWiki file based
on name of text file. I don't think this is something that would merit
introduction into the core. I mean, that is essentially what we do
when we author a page in the first place. The only difference is
allowing somebody to drop a file, without much by way of
authentication, and create content.

I have an alternative suggestion I'll post shortly.

--
Ben Wilson
" Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur"