[pmwiki-users] Email to Wiki

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Fri Dec 22 05:30:26 CST 2006

On Dec 21, 2006, at 4:39 PM, The Editor wrote:

> Still wondering exactly what would be involved in getting an email to
> wiki module working.  I have a real interest in this, and would like
> perhaps to give it a whirl. But don't know where to start...
>
> Can php be used with email functions--as in check an email account,
> retrieve email messages, etc.?  (POP accounts enough for me).
> Couldn't seem to find anything at php.net, but may not have known
> where to look. If I could get a little traction, I could maybe
> research it some more.  But then again, if it can't be done in php,
> maybe I just need to forget about it awhile.
>
> I'd be happy for about any system that could just retrieve emails and
> convert them to simple text files...  There's gotta be something that
> can do that.  Any ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> Dan

http://wiki.cc/php/POP3
http://us2.php.net/imap
http://www.phpclasses.org/browse/file/3.html

etc.

The problem isn't whether PmWiki can pull page information from
emails, but what the protocols and formats should be.  Patrick would
be creating a way for the PmWiki core to pull information (or have
other sites push information into PmWiki).  And that's where the
issue is, not in what the exact email protocol is, but how to have an
email name pages, or how to do email->markup, and etc.  You can
create something right now, but it might change a great deal once
it's pulled into the core.

I'm thinking along the lines of the XMLRPC recipe -- that's an
external format that pushes information into the wiki just fine, and
probably just needs to be "modernized" to use UpdatePage, etc.  I
find using XMLRPC and Ecto to be indispensable when dealing with
large wikis.  If only I could get the Ecto author to support wiki
markup -> gui :)

Crisses