[pmwiki-users] Question - dot as page name

Crisses crisses at kinhost.org
Wed Dec 20 14:54:26 CST 2006

On Dec 20, 2006, at 1:48 PM, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:

> On Wednesday 20 December 2006 07:58, Nicolas Pelletier wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to use a dot in a page name? Group Name?
>>
>> In our case, we would like to have a group named .Net with some
>> pages also
>> containing dots (like ".Net Problems" etc).
>>
>> Is it possible and how can it be done?
>
> I don't know for sure, but would assume probably not.  Why don't
> you just
> follow convention and use "DotNet"?  That is used rather widely,
> and is
> easier to search on.  A google query for "dotnet" returns "about" 12.3
> million pages.  A query for ".net" returns 1.62 billion pages, but
> a lot of
> those pages have nothing to do with programming, since punctuation
> isn't a
> part of google searches.

Also, your TECHNICAL page name may be Main.DotNet but that doesn't
stop you from using
(:title .Net Problems:)
which will change the title in the window, and for any bookmarks
people make for the page, etc.

However, it will change your search engine rankings, as has been
pointed out.  If you stick with "DotNet" it's searchable.  If you use
".Net" it resolves to "net" even when you use quotes.... not as
useful in the greater scheme of things :)

Crisses