[pmwiki-users] "Bug" when installing to a secure server?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Dec 20 08:00:14 CST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 02:20:18PM +0100, christian.ridderstrom at gmail.com wrote:
> While looking at the directory strcuture, I noticed that the link to the
> style sheet by default isn't set correctly. You get
>
>   <link rel='stylesheet'
> 	href='http://<DOMAIN>/pmwiki/pub/skins/pmwiki/pmwiki.css'
> 	type='text/css' />
>
> even though the URI to pmwiki.php uses 'https' rather than 'http', i.e.
>
> 	https://<DOMAIN>/pmwiki/pmwiki.php
>
> The installation can be fixed by adding to config.php something like
>
> 	$ScriptUrl = 'https://<DOMAIN>/pmwiki/pmwiki.php';
> 	$PubDirUrl = 'https://<DOMAIN>/pmwiki/pub';
>
> However, is there a reason why pmwiki can't detect the 'https' and use
> that for $PubDirUrl? I noticed that 'http:' is hardcoded in pmwiki.php:
>
> $ScriptUrl = 'http://'.$_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'].$_SERVER['SCRIPT_NAME'];
> $PubDirUrl = preg_replace('#/[^/]*$#','/pub',$ScriptUrl,1);
>
> So, is there some way to make pmwiki do this better?

This is PITS #00527 (http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/PITS/00527).

I can get PmWiki to automatically use https: instead of http:,
*IF* we can find a reliable way to detect when a server is being
accessed via https.  Supposedly IIS sets the HTTPS environment
variable to either "on" or "off".  I haven't found explicit
documentation of what Apache does -- if someone can point me to
that then I can make the appropriate changes to pmwiki.php.