[pmwiki-users] Zapdata- registration confusion

The Editor editor at fast.st
Sun Dec 10 10:26:54 CST 2006

On 12/10/06, JimB <jbeuerle at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I like the idea of all the capabilities of Zapdata.  I just registered a
>  name (Test42) at the Zap website and it said it was available and
> entered in information to create the account.  I then tried to register
> the name Test42 again and it said it was available.    I entered in new
> information, but was prompted that I had entered in an incorrect member
> name or password.   I am confused and this WILL be very confusing for
> new members.
>
> Would you be able to clarify this behavior?
>
> tia
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

OK, I've looked into it and here's what happened.  The first (or
second) time you entered the name you used a lowercase letter (test42)
so when it checked to verify your second entry it saw it as a new
entry, and allowed you to create another account.

If you try it now, you will notice both test42 and Test42 will give
you the proper error message ("Member name already taken. Try
again....").  So it's doing what it's supposed to.  Sort of.

Granted, it should not allow lower case initial letters--but that's
not what the newmember code is checking.  I'm working on a few other
tweaks as per Pm's recommendations so will release this with the next
version coming out soon (maybe today).

You can of course chain the snippet field replacements so it checks
for both proper page format AND uniqueness--which would be a bit
trickier, but not require code changes (if you are really eager), but
I think it is worth the extra line, or two for me and the extra wait
for you. Anyway, for info sake, here is how you chain field
replacements for tighter form validation (not tested):

(:messages:)
(:zapform `newmember`required`register`basegroup`passdata=register,newmember` :)
(:input text newmember:)
(:input hidden newpage {newmember}:)
(:input hidden basegroup Profiles:)
(:input hidden required newmember,newpage:)
(:input hidden register yes:)
(:input hidden passdata register,newmember:)
(:input submit value="Check Name!":)
(:zapend:)

As it is, this poses no security risk (just two separate accounts).
And it will be fixed soon.  Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Cheers,
Caveman