[pmwiki-users] Pagelists Performance

Scott scott at skhanselman.com
Fri Dec 1 12:33:35 CST 2006

Hi,

I've finally set up my PmWiki site and have 11909 wiki pages (each about 200-300
kb in size, but will get bigger in the future). I'm using (:pagelist
name=-*.HomePage count=10 fmt=#simplename:) for a pagelists section on my main
homepage. The page takes anywhere from 15 to 25 seconds to load (as seen with
the PageGeneration script). All other pages load very quickly as long as there
are no pagelists.

After doing some research I found the SearchIndex recipe/script. My main page
with the pagelists didn't seem to benefit from the index file that was created.
So I've stopped using that script for now. The best I saw using this script was
down to 13 seconds.

So back to the searching again I found that I might want to do the
PerGroupSubDirectories, but I would like some comments that would help me decide
to make the switch to the sub directory structure.

I remember reading somewhere that some college had 200,000 wiki pages and it was
running fine.

I don't want to abandon pagelists, but I'm concerned about the processing time.
Will sub directories help with pagelists?

Thanks for you comments,

Scott