[pmwiki-users] Edit modes question. How to jump to end of textarea automacticly

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Mon Aug 28 08:32:36 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 28, 2006 at 03:23:00PM +0200, Bart wrote:
> Edit modes question. How to jump to end of textarea automatically

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of a browser-independent mechanism to
do this.  It has to be done with Javascript, and some browsers
just don't allow cursor control in the textarea.

> When I go to edit mode ( hitting Alt-e ) I like to jump the end of the
> textarea automatically.

> [...] I searched pmwiki.org and found the Alt-, to do this for the edit
> cursor, but with much text on my page the cursor jumps to the end, but the
> scrollbar of the textarea does not and the cursor jumps out of sight. I also
> have to hit PageDown to jump the scrollbar to the end of the text.

What browser are you using?  In Firefox 1.5.0.6 on my system, hitting
Alt+comma sends the cursor to the end, and the first character I type
moves the scrollbar automatically.

> Ideal would be to have a extra link in the PageAction menu e.g. "append"
> performing this action.

There will be an action like this available soon, except that the
textarea will be initially empty, and whatever is typed will
automatically be appended to the current page (i.e., for handling
of comments).  So, what you're looking for still sounds different.

As opposed to ?action=append, perhaps ?action=edit&cursor=end is more
like what we're looking for (if we can figure out a good way to get
the cursor to position itself to the end of the textarea content,
that is).