[pmwiki-users] Announcement: Google Map API v.2.0.0--Hot off the press

Ben Wilson dausha at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 09:12:54 CDT 2006

On 8/24/06, Hans <hans.bracker at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 23/08/06, Patrick R. Michaud <pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> > I'll take it under advisement for now, but at the moment I'm
> > leaning in favor of it.  How many recipes are there
> > (besides GoogleMapAPI) that need this?
> I don't know of any. GoogleMapAPI is the first I come across which
> needs manual modifications of the skin template.

I've seen it elsewhere, but not often enough to remember where. I only
have that vague notion of saying I've had to do it before, but I don't
think I use that recipe anymore.

Although, FWIW, the API does what few of the other recipes does by its
integrating javascript. It is bound by a (presumptive) defect in IE
not allowing inline javascript the way Firefox does. Although, I
notice that there is upthread email offering a potential solution that
I should look into.

Adding to the Skin is not something I crave doing---it is a necessary
evil to provide a dynamic map interface to a wiki. That said, it would
be excellent if I could just append to an array as I do with
HTMLHeaderFmt[] (HTMLFooterFmt[]?) To say that only GMA needs it does
not mean that other recipes could not use it. Adding a HTMLFooterFmt[]
is also symetrical. There is a GroupFooterFmt and a GroupHeaderFmt,
but only a HTMLHeaderFmt[].[1]

In terms of implementation, I think it would probably be better to
behave the same as HTMLHeaderFmt, as that would be the intuitive
behavior (i.e. both HTML...Fmt(s) work alike, and both Group...Fmt(s)
work alike).

Ben Wilson
"All this worldly wisdom was once the unamiable heresy of some wise man." HDT

[1]: I base this on a simple grep of pmwiki.php