[pmwiki-users] Email response management system

Clemens Gruber cgruber at uni-osnabrueck.de
Wed Aug 16 13:40:37 CDT 2006

Hi Luigi,

we have had a similar problem. We would set up a FAQ system with
affiliated email support. Taget was to have only one point for data
maintenance. You should not have two databases (and twice work) for
emails and website.

Because we have made good experiences with OTRS http://otrs.org we
decidet to use this system for mail support and as "database" You can
use the built in FAQ feature to manage text blocks. It is possible to
use this text blocks by one click by editing an email.

With some markup you can use the OTRS database (FAQ part) as content for
PmWiki, you can use markups, but you shoud do this cautiously, because
mails with wiki markup aren't nice. ;-) same with pictures an so on, we
neede only basic mail support, _no_ html mails. If you need this, the
approach here is nothing for you.

We have added in PmWiki some markup - some mails ago someone wrote "Is
there anything PmWiki can't do? :)"  ;-) - to pick up the OTRS database
for displaying the FAQs and use them in a search form. Second we have
enhanced OTRS to sort the FAQs in two categories - to further use in
PmWiki as group and page - and a GUI to sort the FAQs. All FAQs in the
same OTRS category are displayed on one wiki side.

You can have a look at the PmWiki page
http://service.virtuos.uni-osnabrueck.de/wikifarm/fields/studierenden-faq/

Clemens