[pmwiki-users] A question about skins

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Tue Aug 8 03:01:50 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 10:41:18PM -0700, Andrew Standfield wrote:
> This actually got me to thinking about the line length issue because
> it's been quite awhile (almost 10 years (eek)) since I actually
> learned about the effect of long lines. So I did a bit of digging
> around, and according to the latest study I could find about on-
> screen reading, longer lines (of about 95 character per line) are
> read *faster* (counter to what I had originally been taught). But 95
> cpl is about the limit. "Efficiency" was found to be optimized at the
> same length.

That's interesting, because I actually have my programming editor set to a
default width of 98 columns nowadays.  That's admittedly mostly because
of having a high resolution screen at work so I can have a legible 98
column editor window alongside a couple of 80 column terminal windows.

But I've found it also seems 'about right' in terms of legibility, at
least of code.  I think solid chunks of text that wide might be a bit
heavy though.

--
Chris Green (chris at halon.org.uk)