[pmwiki-users] title directive and links

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 23 13:08:00 CDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 23, 2005 at 10:47:09AM -0700, Dan Weber wrote:
> > Currently, search results always show less descriptive page names, so
> > sometimes it is not clear what is the page about. Page titles would
> > be ideal.
>
> I was able to change the RecentChanges page format by changing the
> following two variables:
>
> $RecentChangesFmt['$SiteGroup.AllRecentChanges'] = '*
> [[$Group.$Name|+]] . . . $CurrentTime $[by] $AuthorLink:
> [=$ChangeSummary=]';

Excellent...! I hadn't considered this possibility!  This simple
mechanism for having titles in RecentChanges pages adds a *lot*
of weight to the idea of putting [[Page|+]] markup directly in
the core.

> I could not find a similar approach for the search page though. It
> seems to be related to the page index script but those format variables
> have html in it and not wiki markup so I am not sure how to activate
> the same Title script. Maybe I am just not seeing the relevant Fmt
> variable?

The relevant Fmt variable is $Title.  One mechanism for displaying
titles instead of pagenames in (:pagelist:) output is described
at http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Cookbook/PagelistExplained , in the
"Comments/Questions" section.  (Yes, I'm planning to move this
particular item into its own recipe.)