[pmwiki-users] Offline editing

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Sep 20 14:45:42 CDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 06:18:11PM +0100, mast at ssl.co.uk wrote:
> Is anyone else in the situation I am where it would be very convenient
> to update wiki pages using a laptop when not online to the "live"
> wiki?
>
> I can run a copy of the wiki on my laptop and carry out updates. I
> imagine I could use rsync to update the "live" wiki from my offline
> copy. Rsync could be invoked such that it didn't overwrite any pages
> that had been changed on the "live" wiki. I'd need to sort out any
> conflicts by hand.
>
> There might be a better approach. Has anyone any experience of working
> in this way?

Rsync is a reasonable option.

We've also discussed in the past having a "wiki synchronization"
option so that pages edited on one wiki could be synchronized
with any edits that took place on another.  It's basically the
same algorithm used for simultaneous edits, repeated for each
changed page on the two sites.  But so far it (apparently) hasn't
been critical enough for anyone to prototype or implement yet.