[pmwiki-users] UserAuth

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Sep 2 10:49:54 CDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 02, 2005 at 04:10:48PM +0100, Rob Fisher wrote:
> I'm trying to add user authentication to my public wiki, so that guests
> can read the pages, but only I can edit them.
>
> Here come the questions...!
>
> 1) There seem to be two recipes that handle user authentication...
> UserAuth and AuthUser.  What is the difference?  Which is more newbie
> friendly!?

If you're going to be the only editor, then I suggest you don't
need to be dealing with either UserAuth or AuthUser at all.  Just set
an edit password in local/config.php

    $DefaultPasswords['edit'] = crypt('mysecret');

and you're set!

As far as the difference between UserAuth and AuthUser is concerned,
AuthUser is PmWiki's official identity-based authorization system
and will eventually have most of the important features of UserAuth.

> 3) The skin that I am using is Simple.  This defines the Edit link in the
> simple.tmpl file.  Could someone give me a pointer as to how I can use
> conditional formatting (ie hide the edit link) based upon the current
> users.  It confuses me as the HTML seems to be outside the scope of
> PmWiki's conditional markup.

Perhaps change the edit link in simple.tmpl to be something like
"<!--wiki:Site.PageActions-->" and then you can edit the
Site.PageActions page to display the edit links based on conditional
markup.  I believe that most of the newer skins are using wiki
pages for action links instead of coding them directly into the template.