[pmwiki-users] Section 508 compliance

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Nov 29 15:19:43 CST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:06:48PM -0500, Waylan Limberg wrote:
> > Well, I don't know that it's already compliant, I'm just saying
> > I'll be glad to make changes to aim in that direction.  :-)
> >
> No not quite, but almost. For starters, all form fields must have
> labels.

>From what I read, this particular requirement is a myth that many
automated checkers misinterpet.  See
http://www.ittatc.org/technical/experts/answers.php?qa_id=45
(which itself was linked to from the section508.gov site).

So, technically, PmWiki is Section 508 compliant in this respect,
with the exception of the form on ?action=attr.

Still, to appease the broken automated checkers we can probably
include alt attributes in the built-in forms, or perhaps labels
(but handling <label> in the general case is likely to be *very*
difficult).

> To test your sites for 508 compliance go here:
> http://www.contentquality.com/Default.asp

Yes, this checker apparently says "Rule: 1.1.2 - All INPUT elements
are required to contain the alt attribute or use a LABEL" despite
what is stated on the ittatc.org page above.