[pmwiki-users] Section 508 compliance

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Nov 29 15:19:43 CST 2005

On Tue, Nov 29, 2005 at 04:06:48PM -0500, Waylan Limberg wrote:
> > Well, I don't know that it's already compliant, I'm just saying
> > I'll be glad to make changes to aim in that direction.  :-)
> >
> No not quite, but almost. For starters, all form fields must have
> labels.

>From what I read, this particular requirement is a myth that many
automated checkers misinterpet.  See
(which itself was linked to from the section508.gov site).

So, technically, PmWiki is Section 508 compliant in this respect,
with the exception of the form on ?action=attr.

Still, to appease the broken automated checkers we can probably
include alt attributes in the built-in forms, or perhaps labels
(but handling <label> in the general case is likely to be *very*

> To test your sites for 508 compliance go here:
> http://www.contentquality.com/Default.asp

Yes, this checker apparently says "Rule: 1.1.2 - All INPUT elements
are required to contain the alt attribute or use a LABEL" despite
what is stated on the ittatc.org page above.