[pmwiki-users] List of Categories in use

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sat Nov 26 09:19:22 CST 2005

On Sat, Nov 26, 2005 at 07:55:07AM +0000, Hans wrote:
> Excuse me if I am dumb here, but I do not understand.
>
> I thought a category in pmwiki is a page in the Category group.
> And if you create a new category as a link [[!My New Category]] then you
> would need to open the Category.NewCategory page at least once in
> order to create it by saving it immediately.

One doesn't *have* to create the page.  The markup
(:pagelist link=Category.MyNewCategory:) will still work
even if the Category.MyNewCategory page doesn't exist.  And
many sites put the category listing into the group footer, as

   (:pagelist link=Category.{$Name}:)

which will display the pages in the category even if the category
page doesn't exist.

I don't have a good answer at the moment for the original question
(how to get a list of categories).  It may indeed turn out to be
that we'll combine the pagelist functionality with refcount somehow
to get the complete list.