[pmwiki-users] A Wiktionary with PmWiki?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Nov 9 10:26:07 CST 2005

On Wed, Nov 09, 2005 at 03:32:14PM +0100, gc200 at gmx.de wrote:
> This would mean, that it should be possible to use PageNames which
>   * can consist of lowercase letters only
>   * can have spaces in between.
>
> Furtheron it should be case sensitive. (e.g. the word "gift" (in english)
> has another meaning as "Gift" (german))

Having spaces between words isn't too much difficulty; that's
doable within the current framework.  Having pagenames be
case sensitive in this manner is going to require some thought
(and it goes against what others have been asking, which is
that page names become case *in*sensitive).

Let me see if I can frame the issue succinctly -- suppose
we have markups like the following:

    [[Contact Patrick]] for more details on PmWiki.

    Interested parties should [[contact Patrick]] for more details.

It's pretty clear that the links in both brackets should link to
the same place, so *something* has to be case-folded somewhere to get
that to happen.  Doing that case-folding smartly, consistently, and
efficiently is the issue.

Out of curiosity, would it bother anyone if pagenames in urls were
always lowercase, i.e., if the above always appeared as
"contact_patrick" in a url?  (It would of course display with
appropriate capitalization in page titles and the like.)