[pmwiki-users] Modified (:markup:)

Neil Herber nospam at eton.ca
Sun Mar 20 09:11:37 CST 2005

At 2005-03-20  08:57 AM -0600, Patrick R. Michaud is rumored to have said:
>As an interim, we could just say that we allow (:markup:) [= ... =]
>as long as the [= is on the same line is (:markup:), while all others require
>(:markupend:).  This is how I've done all of my markups, even though
>(:markup:) currently allows the [=...=] to appear on a subsequent line.

This seems like a good compromise for not breaking existing sites, except
where the authors have put the [= on a subsequent line. I personally would
be inclined to always use (:markup:) (:markupend:) on my sites because it
is much more readable.

> > Personally, I'd very much appreciate [=...=] that can be nested...
>
>Oh, based on one of Neil's suggestions, and to borrow an idea from
>another markup language, how about if we allow more than one equals
>(or @) on either side?  Thus:
>
>     [==  This is something that contains [=escaped markup=] ==]
>
>In the rare case where someone needs to have [== ==], just increase
>it again:
>
>     [=== This is something that contains [== escaped markup ==] ===]
>
>(:markup:) then allows:
>
>     (:markup:) [==
>      [=
>     line 1
>     line 2
>     line 3
>     =] ==]

This would work too, but I still like the upper version better. It has the
big advantage of not breaking any existing sites.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/
Tel: (613) 829-4668