[pmwiki-users] Modified (:markup:)

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Mar 20 08:57:20 CST 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 03:05:21PM +0100, chr at home.se wrote:

> I think we should just swallow the pill and force a change of all
> 	(:markup:) [=...=]
> into
> 	(:markup:) ... (:markupend:)

I don't know how many people out there are using (:markup:) in their
sites -- I'd hate to capriciously break that.

As an interim, we could just say that we allow (:markup:) [= ... =]
as long as the [= is on the same line is (:markup:), while all others require
(:markupend:).  This is how I've done all of my markups, even though
(:markup:) currently allows the [=...=] to appear on a subsequent line.

> Something similar would be needed for (:dmarkup:), or we could possibly
> use:
> 	(:markup:) .... (:markupshow:) ... (:markupend:)
> for when we want to use different rendering code.

Probably (:markup:) ... (:markupshows:) ... (:markupend:).

> Personally, I'd very much appreciate [=...=] that can be nested...

Oh, based on one of Neil's suggestions, and to borrow an idea from
another markup language, how about if we allow more than one equals
(or @) on either side?  Thus:

    [==  This is something that contains [=escaped markup=] ==]

In the rare case where someone needs to have [== ==], just increase
it again:

    [=== This is something that contains [== escaped markup ==] ===]

(:markup:) then allows:

    (:markup:) [==
     [=
    line 1