[pmwiki-users] caching pages?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Tue Mar 15 08:28:51 CST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 08:45:04PM -0500, Radu wrote:
> *newbie alert*
>
> 'k, folks, I've been trying to figure out why pmwiki doesn't have a caching
> option, and all I get are links to some missing
> <http://www.pmwiki.org/wiki/Development/WikiCaching?action=edit>Development.WikiCaching
> page presumably in version 1 of the wiki.
>
> Can someone say something about it, or add a note somewhere in the docs?

Well, caching is a bit tricky to do.  It sounds easy at first, but
rapidly gets complex when you consider that the displayed contents of
a page can change due to
   - page permissions
   - included pages
   - links to existing/non-existing pages
   - categories
   - search results/page lists
   - changes in wiki trails
   - conditional markup
   - changes in page content due to the identity of the viewer
as well as other items.

This isn't to say that caching is impossible -- it's on my list of features
to be added to the core -- it's just not something that has reached a
high priority relative to other features.