[pmwiki-users] Deleting dead WikiPages and WikiGroups

Neil Herber nospam at mail.eton.ca
Sun Mar 6 17:33:03 CST 2005

At 2005-03-06  06:17 PM -0500, Radu is rumored to have said:
>At 05:17 PM 3/6/2005, Neil Herber wrote:
>>It's just that as far as I can tell, Patrick works 24 hours a day, is a
>>touch-typist, is never more than a meter away from his PC, and always
>>ends up answering before the rest of us get a chance!  ;->
>
>Hear ye, hear ye! :)
>
>OK, seriously now, OldAl, if you want to delete a page (say
>Main.MyMistake, that being a page called MyMystake in Group Main), just
>create a new file on your computer (right click any Windows Explorer
>folder contents, select New, Text file)
>
>Leave the name as it is for now. Double click to edit that file, type the
>word "delete" in it, close the file (and save when it asks you).
>Right-click on the new file, choose Rename, type Main.MyMistake (or the
>name of any page you want to delete), press Enter.
>
>Then just upload this file to the folder wiki.d with your favorite ftp
>program.
>
>Believe me, it takes longer to describe it than to do it.
>
>just my 2c until someone feels enticed to implement the glorious
>action=delete :)
>
>I guess nobody did cos it just opens the way for nefarious wrongdoings by
>some misguided kopefarkinel. ;)

Radu

I am not sure what your method accomplishes that cannot be done by simply
editing a page inside PmWiki so that it contains the single word "delete".
When you save the edit, the page is deleted. But wait! There's more!

The page has not really been deleted, it has simply been renamed, and that
allows an admin to recover it completely (with all of the history intact)
if needed. The method you proposed will overwrite the page and destroy it.

To recover the file, simply use an FTP program to rename the "deleted" file
from Group.PageName.1234567 back to Group.PageName, where the trailing
digits are a time code.

Neil

Neil Herber
Corporate info at http://www.eton.ca/