[pmwiki-users] Changing markup itself

Jan-Christian Föh jan.foeh at parship.de
Thu Jun 23 04:29:10 CDT 2005

Hi everybody,

at first let me say a big 'thank you' to PM and all contributors; PmWiki is a great piece of software, and I had lots of fun playing around with it in the last few days.

I hope someone can help me with a problem I haven't found a solution for yet:
I'm trying to write a comment markup extension which looks like

(:commentstart:)
commentGoesHere
(:commentend:)

and produces a text bubble which automagically includes the author name, as in

So far I've tried using a Markup rule calling a PHP function which simply either includes PmWikis $Author variable, or extends it with ~~~ and lets PmWiki reparse the return statement. This works fine, except that of course this happens everytime somebody edits the page - the notes will always show the name of the last editor.

This is why I'd like to change the markup itself, e.g. letting my PHP function modify the above markup to something like

(:commentstart author=$Author:)

if no author parameter is present. I simply haven't found a way to achieve this ..

Thanks in advance for any idea,

Jan