[pmwiki-users] attachlist syntax or attach rendering

Chris Cox ccox at airmail.net
Fri Jul 29 14:49:50 CDT 2005

Patrick R. Michaud wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 01:41:27PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
>>>There's not a generic wildcarding facility -- yet.
>>>Want to propose one...?  ;-)
>>I know it is not a good idea to base a design on a specific case, but
>>attachlist does almost exactly what I want, so I would propose to add a
>>"little" bit of wildcarding.
>
> I'm generally in favor of wildcarding, and it's been discussed
> before in the context of the (:attachlist:) markup when the ext=
> option was introduced.  I think being able to write something
> like (:attachlist name=foo*.txt:) makes perfect sense.
>
> However, one concern I have (and the reason I haven't implemented
> this yet) is the confusion that wikiadmins are likely to experience
> from having a system that uses wildcards and regular expressions --
> knowing the differences between the two, and when to use a wildcard
> versus a regular expression.

*ix wikiadmins won't have issue if globbing is used for for
file and dir things and re's are used for string things.  Now if
files (names) are really data, then you could probably get by
with just re's.... but I that really puts a layer of abstration
on top of the site.

I think globbing makes sense for things items that are
web resource file-like things.  To use re's in your
example would confuse things IMHO... there are too many
places where pmwiki items are very file-and-dir like.