[pmwiki-users] attachlist syntax or attach rendering

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Fri Jul 29 12:56:12 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jul 29, 2005 at 01:41:27PM -0400, Neil Herber wrote:
> >There's not a generic wildcarding facility -- yet.
> >Want to propose one...?  ;-)
>
> I know it is not a good idea to base a design on a specific case, but
> attachlist does almost exactly what I want, so I would propose to add a
> "little" bit of wildcarding.

I'm generally in favor of wildcarding, and it's been discussed
before in the context of the (:attachlist:) markup when the ext=
option was introduced.  I think being able to write something
like (:attachlist name=foo*.txt:) makes perfect sense.

However, one concern I have (and the reason I haven't implemented
this yet) is the confusion that wikiadmins are likely to experience
from having a system that uses wildcards and regular expressions --
knowing the differences between the two, and when to use a wildcard
versus a regular expression.

Any thoughts...?