[pmwiki-users] improved markup for floating images...?

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Wed Jul 27 10:55:47 CDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 10:20:05AM +0100, Ed W wrote:

> I like the use of the style stuff to indicate how to style the image.
> However, I'm not totally happy with the captioning syntax.  I'm not sure
> I could give that to my wife to have her update our business website and
> for her not to be confused.

Actually, I think I may have found the answer.  But first, a question...
assuming that you can choose *any* character sequence you'd like to
separate a caption from the image preceeding it, what would it be?
Or, what would your wife like it to be?  ;-)

Here I'm explicitly including the possibility of re-using
some of the existing PmWiki block markup sequences.  Some ideas...

    %frame% Attach:image.jpg | caption
    %frame% Attach:image.jpg / caption
    %frame% Attach:image.jpg - caption
    %frame% Attach:image.jpg -- caption
    %frame% Attach:image.jpg : caption
    %frame% Attach:image.jpg || caption
    %frame% Attach:image.jpg :: caption
    %frame% Attach:image.jpg ! caption !         ( analogue: table captions )
    %frame% Attach:image.jpg ! caption           ( analogue: headings )
    %frame% Attach:image.jpg { caption }
    %frame% Attach:image.jpg [ caption ]

Note that captioning won't be available for images that are inlined with
text -- this is only for images that are in their own display element.