[pmwiki-users] Request for ideas -- edit page improvements

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud at pobox.com
Sun Jan 30 20:49:31 CST 2005

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 12:58:56AM +0100, Pierre Rouzeau wrote:
> Hello,
> even if Wysiwyg editing is not to be envisioned now, there is something
> very tedious in a wiki, and simply not usable by a lot of authors, which
> is tables.
> A tool to help defining interactively tables will be of great help.
> This point have been suggested on the list, but i don't remember if
> there was a link to an exemple or not.
> Though, if only for this point, the handling of tables in FCK editor is
> remarkable :
> http://www.fckeditor.net/demo/default.html

The problem with trying to do WYSIWYG table support is that it's
not possible to draw tables from wiki markup without building
a large conversion program into the browser.  If we were editing
HTML directly it could be easier (because browsers already know
how to display HTML), but since we're editing an intermediate markup
language it doesn't work out.  (And no, there's not an easy way to
convert HTML into wiki markup.)