[Pmwiki-users] 'Reset' button in edit page

Bronwyn Boltwood arndis at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 12:23:53 CST 2005

On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 09:38:33 -0700, Patrick R. Michaud
<pmichaud at pobox.com> wrote:
> This is correct -- the reset button simply restores the form's contents
> to whatever it had before the user started changing things.  Pressing
> preview causes the server to send a new copy of the form (which "Reset"
> then restores to).  To get back to the current stored version of the
> document w/o any previous, just hit the "Edit Page" link again.
>
> The Reset button itself is just something provided by HTML that has
> hung around since the first versions of PmWiki.  Several have commented
> in the past that perhaps we should eliminate the Reset button entirely
> (I hardly ever use it myself).

I think the Reset button needs to be well-explained for anybody to
find it useful instead of confusing.  :)  I often want to abandon an
edit or restart it from scratch.  PmWiki already provides mechanisms
for this, but it would be good to make them more obvious, and educate
writers about them.

Mind you, what I'd *really* like is, when I edit a page, to have not
only the browser-based form, but for the source to be sent to my
favourite text editor.  Then I don't need a reset button because I
have full undo support, syntax colouring (once I make a wiki
hilighter), find/replace, and various other goodies. (I know you can
do this in emacs, but I don't use emacs and don't want to.)

Bronwyn