[Pmwiki-users] Motivation for special line continuation (was: Idea for extension..)

chr@home.se chr
Sat Jan 22 09:58:24 CST 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Neil Herber wrote:

> At 2005-01-22  04:39 PM +0100, chr at home.se is rumored to have said:
> >Anyway, what I really wanted to say was that for most of the lists what
> >I'd really like to be able to do is write the list above as:
> >
> >         * primary item
> >         * secondary item
> >         ** sub secondary item
> >            same level as secondary (continuation of the text actually)
> >         * tertiary item
> >
> >The reason I'd like to be able to write it like this is that it looks
> >"pretty" to my eyes, and it feels natural to me as the writer...
>
> The problem I see with this is knowing the author's intent. Should this be
> rendered as:

I would like the markup above to be rendered as:

	* primary item
	* secondary item
	  * sub secondary item same level as secondary (continuation
	    of text actually)

Just wish I'd put a period after 'sub secondary item', and also that I'd
written "same level as subsecondary..." instead of "..as secondary". That
was probably confusing...

Now, why don't I want a newline after the rendering of
	'... sub secondary item'?

Mainly to be consistent with how normal paragraph texts in PmWiki are
interpreted. If we write:

	Some text. More text.
	Even more text.

this will be rendered as

	Some text. More text. Even more text.

Another reason is that I don't think you should be breaking the text
manually, that's something the browser should be doing for you. So for
the special cases when you want to force a break I'm happy by requiring
the user to write:

	* primary item
	* secondary item
	** sub secondary item \\
	same level as secondary (continuation of the text actually)
        * tertiary item

which would render as:

	* primary item
	* secondary item
	  * sub secondary item
	    same level as secondary (continuation of text actually)
	* tertiary item

Does this make my position easier to understand, or have I just muddled
the issue further?

/Christian

--
Christian Ridderstr?m, +46-8-768 39 44               http://www.md.kth.se/~chr