[Pmwiki-users] mail blacklisted again

Patrick R. Michaud pmichaud
Fri Jan 21 09:35:28 CST 2005

On Fri, Jan 21, 2005 at 01:39:41AM -0500, Neil Herber wrote:

> I had to remove the SpamCop RBLDNS from my server because it was blocking
> mail from my clients. I don't think you can fault your service provider on
> this one, because it is the receiving mail servers that are rejecting the
> mail based on the SpamCop listing. Those listings get created by humans
> reporting what they think is spam, and sometimes they are wrong or
> malicious.

Yes, I know that it's up to mail receivers (and not my provider) to
decide whether to reject email based on SpamCop, but it's also somewhat
my provider's fault that they don't have an effective response when
the bad actions of one of their clients causes all of them to be
blacklisted.

(BTW, SpamCop doesn't create its blacklist based on human reporting --
it uses automated "spam traps" to detect spam and decide when to
list a sending host.)